Thursday, April 10, 2008

Bring on the Top Chef Competition

I really like to get to bed before 10PM. I guess I should say that I really like the idea of getting into bed before 10PM, but the truth is that somehow, this rarely seems to happen. While I am not anti-television, I have been trying to keep the TV off at night to help my getting-into-bed plans. Last night, however, I stayed up until 11PM to watch the one show I like most, Top Chef. Even though I love that show, it truly isn't necessary to stay up to view the first airing of the episode since the channel replays it a good 23 times throughout the week. Clearly, I could always catch it at another time. But no, I got sucked in last night so stayed up late.

This morning while C complained that his mini-bagel didn't taste right, not like the other mini-bagels he has eaten, all I could think was 'bring on the Top Chef competition!' No, my sons aren't awesome cooks, yet, although they can mix a mean batch of box brownies. No, they aren't open to interesting combinations of food (think wasabi and white chocolate together, like one of last week's T.C. creations) or exotic ingredients. It's just that last night's contest centered around having a good palate, being able to discern fine ingredients through taste. They blindfolded each of the competing chefs and gave them two of the same ingredients, soy sauce, cheddar cheese, etc., one of high quality and one of lesser quality. The contestants had to discern the better quality product through taste, smell, and touch only. Normally, they say that seeing the product is often the give-away to quality, but having a good palate is so important to being a good chef, these folks had to rely solely on their other senses for this challenge.

SO hearing this morning's bagel protest made me think of my boys' palate. It is quite limited, yes, as those of you who read this blog know since I seem to write about their picky eating incredibly often. Yet, I do realize-- why, they have a most discerning palate. They immediately bite into a hot dog and know if it is their preferred brand (and will immediately gag and spit if it is not); they shun the cheese that isn't their cheese--right, J?; Stonyfield banilla yogurt must never be substituted for Stoneyfield straight banana or vanilla yogurt. Oh yes, blindfold those boys and they know, by taste, exactly what they are looking for. Gotta be Oscar Meier Wieners-- that's the turkey, pork and chicken mix (nitrates, surely, as well). No substitutions, please.


3 comments:

Andrea said...

Maybe you've got a couple of future sommeliers on your hands.

Jennifer said...

Who knew that there is actually a significant difference between white and american cheese that is identifiable before even being tasted?

deborah keisch said...

oh, yes. we watch it every week in bed, downloaded on a laptop since we don't get the channel. borderline obsession, for sure. and it is hard to watch without a late night snack. yum.

i have to hope that even if W can't appreciate the good stuff in her first few years, somehow our appreciation for diverse foods will be passed on.

i used to fight -tears and screaming- my mom over every all natural peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread. i wanted the good stuff - skippy on white. but as an adult i much prefer the all natural....so maybe there is hope?