Sunday, December 9, 2012

What We Look Like When We Ride Now....

This is what we look like most weekends nowadays...

We have almost fully gone to the boys riding themselves.  We ride to music lessons, birthday parties, church, whatever comes our way on weekends.  The guys are mostly on the sidewalk while P and I ride the street, doing a lot of communicating and blocking, particularly at street crossings and intersections.

The boys have become great city cyclists. They are pretty steady and hearty and mileage does not seem to be much of an issue.  They are good at sharing the sidewalk with pedestrians, taking turns, slowing down near others, and kindly announcing, "Bike left" when coming through. 

Sidewalk bicycling, of course, is not ideal and watching the boys get around by their own pedal power highlights how different life would be if we had real bicycling infrastructure 'round these parts with things like protected bike lanes. The fellows, and others, would so easily be be getting around by bicycle.  For instance, right now we have no ideal bicycling route to school. My older guys are very dedicated bus riders. My youngest is not a fan of the AM bus so while I am headed to school too (I work there), F acts mostly as a passenger on my bike, and despite the years I've been doing this, I can still feel uncomfortable at times riding through downtown with anxious morning commuters.

Due to the change in our riding, we did make another bicycle change.


Oh yes, we did.

We got a Yuba Boda Boda. We'll have tons more stories to tell about that but we're downsizing-- the Yuba Mundo is for sale. Know any families on the East Coast looking to haul two kiddos or significant cargo that you can point our way?

The Boda Boda is tons of fun because it feels like a 'single bike' but I still have the ability to haul one kid when needed. I feel so quick and zippy on the Boda Boda! I had become so accustomed to hauling tons o' kid cargo weight these past four years, it was just the way it felt to bicycle. Now-- now's a whole 'nother story.

UPDATE 1/22/13
We did find a new home for our Yuba Mundo. It's close by and will be well-used by a family with two younger children. 

5 comments:

kyouell said...

But...but... you're keeping the bakfiets, right? I've told people that when the kids are out of mine I'll just get a dog.

sara said...

Our kids would disown us if we sold the bakfiets. They are already discussing who will inherit it...

Jennifer said...

Great pictures and I like how the one of the boys seems to capture something unique about each of them!

Unknown said...

Hurray for carrying less! Love that snappy green.

nrtt said...

I am in MA and am looking for a yuba mundo. is yours still for sale?